Monday, June 9, 2008

Sarkar Raj

You’d think Ramus Raj was almost over with a series of recent unmentionables like Naach, Ramu ki Aag, Go etc Sarkar Raj, then, is the breath of fresh air. Must admit, I wasn’t the first one in queue when the movie released this Wednesday. I had to be bribed with shopping and then lunch. This followed by threats when I still failed to comply. But we finally struck a deal; this movie was a trade off for watching three other chick flicks.

Not a fan of a serious afternoon, especially after drowning my internals in Lucknowi kababs and paratha, I settled in, not expecting too much. As the movie progressed, my shuffling decreased and I finally gave in and let myself enjoy.

Loved the treatment given to the film. The Cinematography was brilliant! Full points to the unconventional way close ups where taken behind/through objects e.g. the scene where Abhishek is trying to convince Amitabh Bachan about the benefits of the power plant. The scene seemed to be shot and moving from behind a TV cabinet where only partial faces can be seen through ornaments on the shelf.

The background score was brilliant, just like the first Sarkar. The colours of the film, really help set the mood. The soft almost sepia tones every time Big B was in his office, the Beige walls, sunlight softening the colours as it spreads through, the worn out wooden classic table, very typically Maharashtian, simple yet functional. Can’t say I was blown away by the acting though. What I mean is to comment on Big B’s acting would be disrespectful, choti muh badi baat. Aby Baby, yes, oodles of screen presence but I would give more stars to the supporting cast who are all veteran Marathi stage actors.
Aishwarya Rai, the less said about the better.

Good to have you back Ramu, like they say you’re as good as your last film.

No comments:

Post a Comment