Thursday, June 13, 2013

Geet Gaata Chal Musafir.



As the last Rs.2 exchanged hands between the auto driver, and me, I was left feeling rather pensive (only for a minute and half) – Could I be turning into an alcoholic?

Who else sitting in auto on their way to work would crave a glass of wine at 10:30 am?  I reasoned, maybe it had something to do with the ride. The moment I found myself seated in this auto, soft instrumental music flitted about. My reaction to anything playing on an auto's speakers usually is 'bhaiya band karo pls!' Nothing personal Mr. Altaf or the makers of “Pallu ke peeche chupa ke rakha hai…” or “Tu bewafa yaar bewafa pyaar…”. It’s just that…Just!

Getting into an auto very rarely triggers the subconscious mind of lyrics like “Waada karo nahin chodogi tum mera saath…” I started smiling. Within minutes the sound of rain began filtering in through the acoustics. I sang along.“Kuch na kaho...kuch bhi na kaho...” The auto trotted along the busy roads, the breeze waltzed through open doors and suddenly I wished, to not be anywhere but in this auto - and to have nothing but a glass of sparkling, as I perfected karaoke to “Din tere bin kahin kat ta nahin, waqt guzarta nahin...” my urge for that glass seemed to be getting stronger competing with the rain, “Ishq bina kya jeena yaroon, gud se meetha ishq ishq, ho ho ohhh...”. But like all good things that must come to an end, so did my ride and an unfulfilled desire, maybe I should take his number and hail his auto to drop me to work everyday. Only next time, come prepared with the simple bare necessities. Gosh! is this how it starts, am I turning into an alcoholic?

As the sound of traffic and chitter chatter took over, another melody played on, getting fainter by distance as the auto geared away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment