Thursday, October 9, 2008

the Grey that got my Anatomy

A few routines sink under your skin, into parts so deep that still lie undiscovered by any fairness cream commercial. For me it was Grey’s Anatomy. Hours during the day would pass at a speed that could put snails to shame. Evenings were like going home to a loved one, not just family. Evenings would soon turn into late evenings and then nights would turn into early mornings. Felt no different than a budding romance. I held onto DVD boxes, watching episode after episode, season after season, till one evening the thrill was all over! Then, I’d go over old episodes, because the fear of nothing new was a little short of paralyzing. Felt no different than a budding romance.
We were all one big happy family, the interns, the residents, a friend and I. Sometimes my friend and I discussed the other members of the hospital behind their back. You know they could be wrong, but you justify and empathize. We secretly even lusted after Dr. Sheppard, meaning no harm to Meredith of course.

But that evening, as the scalpel was passed on the last operation of season 4, a strange feeling of anxiety overpowered. No more OR for a while, at that moment I found myself on Christina’s side of the fence. A tear rolled down my eye as I watched Derek, when Meredith trying hard to overcome insecurities, took her first step towards ‘happily ever after’. But suddenly things came to an abrupt end. It felt like a friend was shot dead in the middle of her sentence.

It was hard initially but, routine, that’s the thing it sinks into you. Life went back to normal. The normal before I discovered Grey’s Anatomy. I secretly wished for havoc in my life. And thy shall be done! They’ve finally started airing season 5. Initially, I avoided it like an ex but then found myself rushing towards an unseen magnetic force. Far too many questions unanswered, matters still unsettled (told you it was like romance!)
Glad to know that Derek and Meredith decided to give ‘happily ever after’ a chance. There’s a thing or two I feel, I need to tell Izzie. I know what Lexi and George don’t see coming. After watching the first and only two new episodes back to back, it feels like coming home. A warm sensation my heart had forgotten for a while, a feeling of ‘yes! even doctors fuck up!’ and ‘oh shit! It could be you on the table one day’, ‘good ol’ romance still lives round the corner’ and ‘you’re bigger if you let go’.

I don’t care if I sound loony to you. It only makes one thing clear, you’re ignorant and deprived if you haven’t watched it yet.
And if I don’t sound loony to you, then please let me know if you hear any more updates from the Seattle Grace Hospital.

p.s. I miss watching the episodes with you, I miss crying with you, I miss telling you how much I love Derek, I miss sneaking behind you and watching new episodes, I miss agreeing or disagreeing. You know who you are Girlfriend!

2 comments:

  1. Well you've gone and made me cry now so guess nothing has changed fundamentally :)

    I was so happy when I heard season 5 was out! I kept watching the good ones in season 4 again and again. What do you mean you love Derek - with whose permission?

    About your writing - I still swear there's a ghost in there writing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the ghost in there needs to be reassured that someone’s reading, so keep writing. I’m serious about only kidding when I said no pressure!

    ReplyDelete