Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pappu can’t dance saala, hoye hoye hoye hoye

Saying that line always brings a smile to my face I dunno why? Watched ‘Jaane Tu Ya Janne Na’ last week. I’m sure by now, so has everybody else and we’ll all be in harmony when I say the director has hit the nail with his craft full act of storytelling.

I’m not sure if I’d like to jump on the gushing boat of ‘oh my gosh! Imran is sooo hot!’. But I would like to say, after a very long time here's a love story that makes you laugh, that makes you cry just a little but at the end leaves you feeling good. I'm a fan of Karan Johars love tales but often find myself suicidal at the end of his movies because the drama, the passion, the tears, are all way too intense. I can't remember the last time I felt a balance. I'm always tipping over the edge, but nevertheless keep going back for more!

But this one, Jane Tu.. is my story, it's your story, I'm sure and for many others. The simplicity with which we all got drawn into Jai & Aditi's entourage is actually a reflection of moments that we've ever shared. The places might not have all been familiar but the bonding sure was. The jokes might not have been ours but the feelings sure were.

We've all known a Rotlu. We've befriended a Jignes, first for entertainment and then grown protective. I missed my brother and cried (not because Jignes reminds me of him, I've moved on..keep up!) He was never as vocal as Amit about his opinions or my friends, but was definitely strong headed. We were never best friends but I value his presence. There's been a bombs and a cool red haired chick (I forget the names!) in almost every other group. I've been out with a few Pappu's myself who thought caveman hunting steps were in and remixed this with the Egyptian dance for a 'kewl' effect.

But what amazed me the most was the way each relationship was woven into the other. How one coin had very many sides. The story was not just about finding love, or a group of friends in college. It was not just about an attention seeking boy yearning for his best friend - that was once his sister. It was also not about a mother trying to protect her son from finding out the inevitable. It was not just about two best friends whose world revolved around each other. When together, no other existence was as important, and even then didn’t realise that this could be love. Who even without physically being together were always together. This emotion was beautifully captured in a heart tickling line when Aditi reminisces 'College ke panch saal kahan nikal gaye?' to Jai's mother and the mother replies 'phone pe beta'. The whole essence, as I gather, was about Pappu learning to dance!

There were so many instances in this movie when my heart gave a standing ovation, that to mention just a few would be the biggest 'na-in-saafi melord' of Indian Cinema.


So cheers to all the lucky Jai's and Aditi's who realised before it was too late. To the Pappu's who finally learnt to dance. To the Bombs and Rotlu's who accidentally found each other. And for all the others who missed the boat, go watch the movie again...losers!

1 comment:

  1. Late this time but still a wonderfull review, though I thought the ending on the horse was little filmy :)

    ReplyDelete