Monday, July 21, 2008

Kismet Konnection

If you’re Kismet is really good it will stop you from Konnecting with any theatre that is playing this movie.

Expectations can be harsh and difficult to live up to (not that I would know). My heart goes out for Shahid ‘Jab We Met’ Kapoor.A lot of us went in with the hangover waiting for the same magic to be recreated again. But we forgot it’s a different movie, different director, co-star etc. Even if, they were all the same, we would have come away complaining ‘typecast ho gaya hai. Kuch naya nahin kiya’ Hard to please some customers I tell ya!

Ok the story in a nutshell – Raj Malhotra the architect was a promising business student. But once college got over, so did his good luck. He now had to find a lucky charm; whose presence would make all wrongs right, all misfits a perfect fit. Enter Priya and Raj’s world suddenly starts looking round again. Is she the one? Will lady luck finally seduce?

Shot in Canneda, the locals chosen weren’t very picturesque which left very little room for good camera work.
It’s a shame to see Vidya Balan wasted. She is best suited for scripts which demand high levels of intimacy from the actor. An actor’s script.
It’s true that a Parineeta, Bhool Bhulaiya or Guru doesn’t come along every day. But for the sake of art, is the audience willing to endure anything?
Shahid had us believing that he’s come a long way after Jab We Met, then why the need to over act, constantly smile like a buffoon, force the dimples in his cheeks so much so that he resembled Jaadoo. I have immense respect for Juhi Chawla as an actor but very little respect for Haseena Bano Jaan. Her lines as a fortune teller were quirky but it was a pity to see screen time wasted.

Apart from the acting, the dialogues were nothing short of forgettable. ‘C’mmon Priya tum janti ho mein tumse kitna pyaar karta hun, will you marry me?’ (said in a very exasperated, say 'yes' or 'no' and lets get on with it kind of tone) as the elderly residents of the Community Hall cheer on and Priya ‘I conststantly seem to be loosing my stylist’ says ‘Ok! Ok! I’ll marry you’ she might have added ‘.. Nathuraam when you come home in the evening please get quarter Kg cabbage..where is the laundry man…what’s for lunch today…ok time for my shower.’

My favourite line in the movie is from a song which goes like this - ‘Sade naal Karle partee…Kudi tu lagdi hai naughtee..!’

2 comments:

  1. hmmmm..Ma choice to quit this one was wise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudi tu lagdi hai naughtee, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha I wish I'd seen it with you. Oh but I'd have puked every time Shahid Kapoor appeared so I wouldn't have able to watch it anyway.

    ReplyDelete