Monday, June 29, 2009

Rain, Rain Go Away. Come Again Another Day

The smell of fresh earth, the sound of raindrops humming on the tin roof above, stirring a hot coffee wanting to become one with the rising vapors, the undying desire for a cuddle under a warm blanket, stray thoughts that break into a romantic song, a smile that’s brought by a distant wet memory, fingers running through the phone list, warm feet that can feel the dampness outside. Love is all around..

That has always been my impression of the monsoons. A rich mans impression. The colors seemed quite grey when I tried painting wearing somebody else’s raincoat. As I peered through the cloth hanging as an excuse for a shield from the side of my auto, I realized along with the ink moistening on my crumpling CV, most of Bombay outside my little window was drowning in gutter and neglected waste. The smell of fresh earth was disguised under week old rotting plastic and knee high sewage. Pitter patter on windows had now become loud thuds of splashes as wheels tried to recover on roads. The undying desire for a cuddle still existed, but I had to stop myself from chasing every stray dog drenching to the bone, sitting without a tin roof above. No distant warm memories exist here, when a cold hand reaches out to grab yours, begging for a few alms. How much will be enough to buy a coffee that remains warm for the rest of the day?

I gaze away wiping the dash of freshly tossed muck, as my shifted thoughts are now troubled with the onset of an oily skin, pimples, marks etc.  I watch kids playing cricket by the side of their huts, blithe, untouched by the downpour or the onset of pimples.

I feel stupid and ‘one of those’ for fallaciously empathizing with the world as I make my way back to the ivory tower.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment